Sometime in December 2018, the digital mall Wanelo suffered a data breach that included 23 million unique email addresses along with passwords. Some passwords were stored with weak encryption, others with better encryption. Either way, they are exposed and should be changed. The data was later placed up for sale on a dark web marketplace along with a collection of other data breaches in April 2019. There were 142 Berry email addresses included in this breach. You can read more about it by clicking on the link in the first sentence of this notice. To find out if you are included, you can go to Have I Been Pwned and enter your email address in the search form. You can also sign up for breach notifications from Have I Been Pwned by clicking on “Notify Me” at the top of any page on the site.
If you are affected by this breach, take the following steps to control and secure your online data:
- Go to the site and check that your information is correct
- While you are there, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!
- If you reused that password anywhere else, go to those sites and change the password.
- Don’t use that password again!
- If the site offers multi-factor authentication (sometimes called two-step authentication), enable it, configure it, and feel a little safer.